What is the state of the Local SEO Industry?
Since a lot of our business is working with clients on local SEO (meaning regional or city specific), I found this survey very relevant. If you want to look at the state of any industry it is good to understand the types and sizes of businesses that play in that arena. This report by BrightLocal surveyed 1,759 SEOs (SEO Companies), and yes we were one of them! The results are very interesting.
What are the big takeaways?
1. 37% of local SEOs had a turnover of less than $30k
- This shows that at the local level a little over a third of the businesses are likely smaller operations. If you look at the graph provided in the original blog you can see that over 60% of the businesses surveyed are running under $100k a year.
2. On average each local SEO handles 9 clients
- The graph also shows that only a quarter of the industry has over 21 clients.
3. Average monthly spend by SMBs on local is $1,020
- This shows the average that a Small Business is spending totals over $1000/month for this survey. More and more businesses are understanding the value of online marketing and not only expanding their budget, but the types of online services they are getting.
I would highly recommend you take a few minutes to look at all of the questions and answers. Overall, the industry is seeing an increase in what businesses are spending per month, however it still remains very fragmented with a lot of the players in the industry being smaller marketing agencies or individuals.
It is important to understand the size of the agency you work with as agencies who have more clients (and can scale effectively) are able to get a broader picture of the industry from actual hands on experience. Smaller agencies or individuals are likely going to focus on one or two areas that they are good at and that their clients demand, but may miss catching marketing trends early as they do not have enough clients to get an accurate measure of what is a actually a significant shift in the market.
Let’s Get A Cup Of Coffee
Once you have taken time to review this survey we invite you to connect with a member of our staff if you would like to learn more about our company. We would definitely enjoy the opportunity to learn more about you and your business and how we can better refer business to you!